Burnout after a long period of being stressed out is no joke and there’s a good chance you are missing the physical signs you are stressed out.
Last week I shared a blog about the 10 Emotional Signs You are Stressed Out.
This week my focus is on the physical signs you are stressed out. I missed so many of these as I was burning out.
I thought the things which were happening to me were a normal part of life as Primary School Headteacher especially the coughs and colds.
Goodness did I get a lot of coughs and colds in the run up to burn out. 😔
I put it down to being around small, snotty children but, the thing was, that before becoming so stressed, I rarely caught those pesky germs!
Stress stops your immune system working properly and that was why I was getting ill so often.
I shared some statistics about stress in my post last week but here are some more.
The Workplace Health Report: 2022 revealed how UK professionals are impacted by stress.
- 34% moderate
- 26% moderate to high
- 7% high
That’s a total of 67% reporting stress in the range moderate and above.
And there’s more from ciphr
- The overwhelming majority (79%) of UK adults feel stressed at least one day a month
- On average, a typical UK adult feels stressed approximately 8.27 days a month. That’s more than twice a week!
- Nearly half (49%) of UK adults admit to feeling stressed five or more days each month
This is not sustainable for our economy but most of this is not sustainable for the individuals involved.
I have mentioned the consequences of stress induced burnout for me but I think it is worth repeating that:
- I didn’t work for a year.
- I had many days when I could not do even basic tasks.
- I even had days when I could not even eat.
- I gave up my 20 year career in education.
I missed many of the physical signs of stress. I had no idea they were not normal.
We have to stop normalising stress and its symptoms as just being part of modern life.
STRESS IS NOT COMPULSARY!
Please take a moment to read the physical signs of stress here and if you would like a copy of the PDF version of this, please drop me an email (email@example.com)
- Blurred eyesight or sore eyes
- Sleep problems and fatigue
- Muscle aches and headaches
- Chest pains and high blood pressure
- Indigestion, hearburn, constipation or diarrhoea
- Feeling sick, dizzy or fainting
- Sudden weight loss or gain
- Developing rashes, itchy skin or sweating
- Changes to menstual cycle
- Health problems getting worse or getting more sick
Stress does not have to be part of your life!!
If you are a busy, midlife founder, CEO or leader who is ready to go from feeling ... Stressed, Overwhelm & Stuck TO Calm, Clarity and Contentment then please accept my gift of 5 Simple Truths to Take You Closer Calm by clicking here.
You can watch me talk more about this topic on the video or catch up via my podcast below.